Monday, September 15, 2008

Bittersweet Market Street

I have a definite love/hate relationship with Market Street. Since I began temping back in January for various companies, most of which are in or near the Financial District, I've spent many lunches and random walks down this crazy street. The company I've been at for the past 5 weeks is at the beginning of Market, by the Ferry Building, with an amazing view BTW (the job is great, too:). Hopefully I can stay at this one another month or two....
Anyway, since I've been at this job, and from what I can remember, Market Street has "given" me: 3 Jamba Juice smoothies, 2 organic rice pkgs, cat food, Special K bars, and today (which prompted me to write this post) a $5 Starbucks card. It seems that companies like to try out their new promotions out here- totally works for me! Also, towards the end of the week, occasional bands will provide live music to enjoy on my way out and about. And, the streetcars are so cute and bring an authentic vibe to the spot.


The "bitter" part of Market involves the aromas I smell and the people I get to observe. Twice now, I have seen nudies- one being a big group of cyclists earlier this year and the other week, a lady kneeling over kissing the sidewalk. Also, quite frequently, I feel like gagging when the overwhelming scent of urine takes over, from either the many homeless or the dirty bike messengers (this is heightened when we have a rare warm day). Surprisingly, I've never gotten crapped on by any of the million scumbirds of the earth (aka pigeons) that infest the sidewalks. Oh and I can't forget the silent Asian man with his glactic/gibberish sign & sunglasses and the other stalwarts professing their crazy messages every day.

I just can't avoid this street! Somehow I gotta get to Old Navy, the glorious Westfield Mall, Virgin & my favorite chocolates:) I guess this is one of the places that give SF its character; and it leaves me with some interesting stories to tell....

No comments: