Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Love for TJ's & Number 100


Trader Joe's is awesome. It is my 2nd favorite grocery store (if you factor in price, it would be #1, but I am just thinking about how pretty and tasty Whole Foods is right now so that will be first in my mind for today). Everytime I go to Safeway, I always wish I were at TJ's instead. Thankfully, it's a 10 min. walk so I can be there instead! Although there are some things that TJ's just doesn't have (ice cream cones, baking powder). Here is a list of some things I like there. This may get continued the more things I try, we'll see...

1. Vanilla Wafer Cookies- These must be relatively new; they come in a clear tub and are so delicious. They have Madagascar vanilla specks in them which makes the vanilla seem that much more present. Whole Foods' 365 wafers are also very good, but no specks there.

2. Salmon Patties- Come frozen in a package of 5 or so. They are super easy to make, only 80 cal each and are loaded with protein and omega-3s. Sorry, I don't know if it is farm-raised or wild (I'm guessing farm-raised since it's cheaper, although let's hope for wild:)

3. Pizza dough- At around $1, you get a bag of ready-to-roll dough, either wheat, herb or original. Very tasty and relatively fresh!

4. Joe Joe's- TJ's verison of an Oreo sans hydrogenated oils. Haven't tried the ginger ones, but we love the peppermint ones and the chocolate and vanilla are good, too.

5. Gyoza- In the frozen section, either pork, chicken or veggie. It goes great with the gyoza dipping sauce they sell (a checker there upsold us that and we loved it).

6. Hansen's soda- Other places sell this, but it is by far the cheapest here at $2 for a 6-pack (if you live in CA, add on the $.05/can for CRV....blah). Personally, it's not as sweet as I would hope, but I guess that's what you get for not having HFCS, so it's worth it.
7. Big Bars of Chocolate- At over a pound for $3.49, you can't beat it. They have milk, bittersweet and with almonds for sure. Apparently, TJ's is the only place you can get this specific brand of imported chocolate- perfect for baking. My friend's MIL had her go buy about 15 bars once and mail them out to Utah for her, they are that good.
One area I would pass over is the fruit section. Maybe buy bananas ($.19 each), but the other fruits don't look that fresh to me. Do you have any favorites?
Also, this is my 100th post, yippee! I was going to wait until Sat. to post again, since that will be my one year bloggerversary, but I am more bored at work more than usual....


7 comments:

Danielle said...

Yes - we love TJs too, can't wait until they are opening one mere BLOCKS from our place. Our favs are 1)Cheese Tamales (guess you wouldn't like those) 2)Unfiltered Cranberry Juice (that's Jason) 3)Quiches (also Jason) 4)Samosas 5)Fresh salsa 6)Flaxseed Flatbread Crackers (we just discovered those) ... and probably lots more. Wow - a bloggerversary - we are such dorks.

Blacks said...

I love their fresh tortillas, frozen orange chicken, flowers (always a great price!), frozen fruit (cheaper than at a grocery store), and in the Fall they have this yummy pumpkin spice bread mix that is so good. I love TJs too- I wish they had everything there so I wouldn't have to go to the grocery store too.

The Devers said...

thanks for the ideas....I love trying new things at TJ!

Danielle said...

I've been looking for the frozen orange chicken at TJs forever since I've heard it's really good, but I can't find it at our local one...I wonder why?

Unknown said...

Oohh...TJs... We go every week for groceries! We can't live without the capers, a million kinds of olives, W's pound o' dark chocolate, the leeks, the shitaki mushrooms, oohhh...and the chile verde pork and the dutch goat gouda!

Ang said...

Oh I love TJ's as well! I was SOOO happy to find out there is one less than a mile from my apt here in Phoenix!!! I love a lot of the same things you listed. In addition, we are big fans of their peanut butter (like adams, but REALLY cheap), frozen fruit, edamame, english toffee and thai curry tuna - in yellow, red or green curry. LOVE IT.

Danielle said...

Forgot another tj's fav of ours:
marcona almonds with rosemary. these are SOOOOO good.
We tried the orange chicken, and I must confess, I was less than enthused. Perhaps because i am not a fan of dark chicken meat.