Sunday, November 4, 2007

Organic...should I?

Lately, I have been interested in the whole organic/whole foods buzz (and I get lured into it whenever I step into beautiful Whole Foods). Out here, especially, it is quite easy to find ANYthing organic, but I always have wondered if it is really worth the extra price and fuss. However, and it may just be my imagination, but organic food usually seems to taste better. Well, somewhere online I found a list of certain produce that we should get organic, and others where it's really not necessary. Here it is....

SHOULD get organic:
Peaches
Cherries
Apples
Lettuce
Bell Peppers
Grapes
Celery
Pears
Nectarines
Spinach
Strawberries
Potatoes

DON'T waste your money on organic:
Onions
Asparagus
Avocado
Kiwi
Frozen corn
Bananas
Pineapples
Cabbage
Mango
Broccoli
Frozen peas
Eggplant

Do any of you buy organic? What do you think about milk and dairy???

5 comments:

La Rira said...

I buy most of my dairy organic; milk and yogurt mainly. As well as my produce, and my chicken. Ha, I guess I buy mostly organic or local at the farmer's market!

Unknown said...

I also try to mostly buy organic, but especially my milk. I saw this really scary dairy special once on PBS and it has put me off non-organic milk every since... :)

Danielle said...

I actually read the opposite about organic dairy. Apparently our bodies, mostly our saliva, can kill most anything that would be in normal milk, etc. I was reading about baby food, though, and it said that you SHOULD buy organic bananas because the skins are pourous and can absorb the anti-fungal sprays that they use on bananas and then it enters the banana itself - not good for baby. I think the milk thing is an example of how confusing the organic debate really can be.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can see that, plus the pasteurization process, BUT the special I saw did for me re: the dairy industry what _The Jungle_ did for the meat-packing industry. Only under dire circumstances would I buy large commercial milk again. It's organic, or small local farms for me!

Scott and Mal said...

I am a huge anti organic person because my grandpa is a farmer and the need for everything organic will kill most farmers. The only difference between an organic strawberry and a non organic strawberry is a small amount of spray the farmer puts on his crop to ensure that the bugs will not get his fruit. If you ask a farmer to stop using this spray he will lose on average 50-60 percent of his crop. Farmers can not make a profit losing this much crop. This is the reason organic foods are so expensive. And, in order for the industry to continue to make it prices are going to continue to rise and everyday farmers are going to be put out of business. Just a thought from a small town country girl!!!