Saturday, September 8, 2007

Splurge vs. Steal

I saw this on my cousin-in-law Sandy's blog and thought it would be fun to start here....

List 10 things you are willing to splurge on and 10 things you definitely will not!

Things I'm willing to splurge on:

1. Peanut Butter-No more Jif/Skippy, only for baking! The natural ones (favorite is Adams) taste soooo much better. We used to only get chunky with the others, the naturals taste so fresh, we'll take creamy any day, too!
2. Costco-If it's there, I'll get it. I get so excited in there, so many cool things at great prices. Alex has realized this, and I think he secretly waits for things he wants to appear here because then I can't say no (tv, xbox, stereo, etc...)
3. School-We're at the most expensive dental school in one of the most expensive cities. But it's so worth finishing a year early, yay for UOP!!
4. Flowers-Ever since our wedding, I love them so. My faves are gerbera daisies and tulips, but whatever's in season will do. And we now always have our little bansai Akiko:)
5. Paper goods-Cards, scrapbook paper, note cards, etc. Paper Source and Papyrus are wonderful, and just up a few streets (a good and bad thing...).
6. Ice Cream-My all time favorite is Breyers natural vanilla. Just can't have the airy kinds in the rectangle boxes. The store brands in the Dreyers type cartons are fine, however. Oh, and gelato is so delicious!
7. Alex-Since we don't have kids, he takes the place for now I guess. He has enough toys, but sometimes I just can't help buying him things. It's so fun to see how happy he gets!
8. Eating Out-SF has too many yummy places, we can't pass it up. We try for once every week or two. I need to get my list together of everywhere I want to go before we move. And we have a rule, can't eat at the same place twice (already been broken).
9. Nordy's Anniversary Sale-Previous post on this.
10. Bread-Oroweat is the best for grocery breads. But Costco here has Semifreddo loaves and La Brea Bakery. Bay Bread, Acme, Arzimendi, Boudin's...SF is the bread capital of America.

Now, 10 things I won't splurge on:

1. Books-I love them, but am drawn to the libraries, and the bookmobile. If I have to have it, amazon is great for deals
2. Cable-We had it for free, but they took it away and I can't justify getting it quite yet.
3. Transportation-we have no cars and I walk everywhere so I don't have to get a bus pass....
4. Pizza-Safeway's Verdi brand is much better than delivery, and Costco sells CPK's!
5. CDs-It's all about itunes now.
6. Video Games-Dad works at Microsoft now, enough said.
7. Clothes-I like Target. The anniversary sale is my exception:)
8. Makeup-I still have tons of free stuff from Nordy's; other than mascara, I should be good for a few more years...
9. Cereal-Alex eats so much of it, I have to use coupons or whatever's on sale. $5 for a box is ridiculous.
10. A Planner-I have a flimsy Reader's Digest calendar my mom found in the house. Maybe this next year Ill get something fancier.

How about you???

No comments: