Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sawyer and Bentley's Big Entrance

I'm not quite sure where to begin, but I must get this written down before I start forgetting things!

The past week has been nothing short of a whirlwind. Alex has been on vacation all of January, and for the most part, we've just hung out at home. We decided to do a last-minute trip to Disneyland as our final hurrah before the twin boys were born. Lizzie loved it (that needs to be a post all on its own:). It was kinda crazy of me going at 33 weeks, but we had a blast.
Anyway, my due date was March 7, my most recent doctor appointment showed a nice, long cervix, so we went for it. I probably overdid it some walking around Disney, but overall I felt ok. We drove down last Sunday and returned Wednesday.
Thursday (as in 3 days ago), I had another check-up. VERY thinned out cervix and I was dilated 3 cm. The doc sent me to the hospital to get monitored, but at that point I wasn't really having contractions, so they sent me home on modified bed rest. On the way home, Lizzie vomited in the mini-van, and continued to the rest of the night. Lovely. Alex's dad also flew in for the weekend.
Friday, we hung out at home, except for a trip to Costco and a Brazilian restaurant in Richmond. It was fun, I felt pretty good, Lizzie was better- not a bad day at all!
Until 3:30 Saturday (yesterday) morning. I was super nauseous and vomiting-I thought I had what Lizzie got. The rest of the morning I was sick and flu-ish, but no fever. Around 12:30pm, I decided to shower, but began getting painful cramps really low. I wasn't sure what to do, but called L&D anyway. They said to come on in, but I was probably just dehydrated from being sick. SO not the case! Lizzie and Blair (Alex's dad) came with us. What a little trooper she is. The drive to the hospital was kinda rough- we made it around 1:30 I think. My contractions were getting strong and 2-3 minutes apart and I wasn't sure we'd make it to Walnut Creek (traffic was just so-so). I must admit, I was scared, sick and nervous!
Bentley was head down in my belly and Sawyer was breech, so I had decided to go with a C-Section. After being rushed through an insanely fast triage (I was already 6 cm dilated when we arrived), I went straight to the OR. Got the spinal, a million other meds for my falling blood pressure, and the babies were out. They were born at 2:54pm and 2:55pm. I was light-headed most of the time and I couldn't stop shivering/shaking before and after. Finally, things calmed down in recovery and I relaxed.
On my way from the recovery room to my actual room, the nurse pushed me into the NICU on the gurney. It was so sweet seeing Alex in there holding little Bentley! I'm SO grateful they offered to swing me by. I got to hold them together and we had our first family photo, just minus Lizzie.
So far, we're all doing well. Bentley was 4 lbs 14 oz & 18 inches and Sawyer 4 lbs 10 oz & 17.5 inches. They were 34 weeks 3 days gestation so it'll take at least a couple weeks 'til they come home. Sawyer kinda reminds me of Lizzie as a newborn and Bentley has a longer face. They both have brown fuzz for hair. I am doing fine. My wound is sore of course, but the pain meds make it tolerable. And I got to eat real food today- woohoo! Scrambled eggs and pancakes have never tasted so delicious.

Blair and Lizzie had a great time hanging out together! The babies are doing well- since they're just 34.5 weeks, the feeding process will probably take some time and they'll be in the NICU for most likely a couple weeks. They are definitely fraternal- Sawyer looks a lot like Lizzie as a newborn, but Bentley has a bit longer face. They both have darker fuzz as hair.
Kaiser Walnut Creek hospital is the best. Everyone has been great, and although we cut it a bit close in arriving, I wouldn't want to be at any other place right now :)

I'll get some photos up here as soon as I can!!

2 comments:

VoltKrisFrostStitch said...

Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you guys congrats!!!!!!

Kris and Kristena

The Willers said...

Hey Guys, how exciting! Congratulations to you both. Thanks for sharing your blog on FB. I didn't know you had one, but I will add ya to mine so that I can find it again. Good luck, you will be very busy:)