Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Slammer (Alcatraz)

We finally did it, we went to Alcratraz! Thanks to Valerie, who organized the whole thing, we were able to have a fabulous time with some of Alex's classmates on the island. Since we've lived here, we kept saying we will go there, but of course, it hadn't happened.


I 'm pretty sure this was taken on the boat ride over. Not sure why Alex picked this picture to post (I had him pick the pics and I would do the write-up), but whatever. The ride was gorgeous to see the whole city on the way out, and we couldn't have asked for better weather.



Basically what every cell looked like in the prison. The audio tour was quite informative.

This main area where the prisoners were kept was called Broadway. At the end of the tour, the employees did a cell door demo to show how all the doors were opened and slammed at the same time; it was a creepy experience to imagine being locked in there.

The water tower on Alcatraz. Just a pretty photo that Alex took.


Krutav and Adarsh in front of the Indians Welcome sign. At the beginning, Alcatraz was used mostly for American Indians when the government would imprison them for ridiculously minor charges. Maybe these hooligans should've been there, too....
We had a great time; it was fun hanging out with the 3rd years, spouses & friends. It amazes me how close Alex's class is-we had a blast!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to check that out! Love the pictures!

The Devers said...

so sad we missed it! looks like fun. we will have to check it out before we move too.

Tara said...

hey guys. we all miss you here. get done with school ok. by the way alex...did you know your sister Natasha and I a VT companions??? crazy what a small world this is.

The Scholer Family said...

Still looking good you guys. Must be the ocean air.

Aaron and Jen Budge said...

Hi Heather... my name's Jen I used to know your husband (his dad was my dentist) anyway I was just blog skipping and saw Alex & Heather Isom and had to check it out. You two are sooo.. cute together. I love the photo of you two on the boat. Tell Alex hi and that I finally got baptized.

Christina said...

I have always wanted to go there- I am glad you had good weather. It looks fascinating- not necessarily "fun" but definitely worth seeing!