Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Is it worth it?




I don't even know where to begin with this next guy. Okay, how about the beginning. Well, that's probably too far back, I'll start when we met this guy. First of all, I don't think I can show many pictures of this guy because they are too... well let's just say Heather can't check her own blog for a while. Anyway, he comes in to the ER pretty much unrecognizable because... He was caught cheating and I don't mean at Mah Jong. The story goes that the dude was actually still in bed asleep when the husband comes in and takes a baseball bat to the guy's head. I've only seen accidents like this occur when someone goes through a windshield. So virtually every bone in the skull is broken in some manner. Both jaws, eyes, cheeks, nose and skull. The surgery lasted over 14 hours. (I am glad I gave the camera to another guy to take pictures for me as I was not about to stand up for 14 hours simply observing, smart move.)

I thought this may be the best way to show a picture. This is actually the guy's skull. That hole at the top of it is where his frontal sinus is, and yes, that is his brain that you can barely see in there. I mean you can see how complex just this part was. The guy got over 104 screws put into his head. When this many fractures are involved it's called a "panfacial" case. I don't think it means this is what you get when someone hits your face with a pan, but that the fractures "pan" the entire skull. So, descriptively, in order to access some of the bones and to make it so this guy can go out into public again, you can't just go cutting in the forehead or in the cheeks, so you expose the fractures another way so that the scar is hidden in your hair. It's called a coronal flap and it's really awesome to watch. I'll spare you the details but basically you cut the scalp and pull it down over the eyes ewwwwww! Ok, sorry, but I had to put it out there in case anyone is considering cheating with someone married to a MLB player. If anyone thinks they need to see more, just lemme know.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen that! The show "The Operation" once showed that surgical move! A kid in my class fainted in the middle of it.

Alessandro said...

Kim,
can I also add that you are awesome for being able to stomach this.... Heather got upset at me for posting this, but at least I got some slack for posting a warning.

Danielle said...

This sounds like those surgeries we used to watch in Mr. Holmboe's anatomy class. Kim - remember that one where they pealed the whole guy's face off to fix, what was it, like Elephantitis or something like that? Where they broke his facial bones and then reshaped his face? Good times.

Unknown said...

Yes, that is exactly the one I was remembering! Kyle H. fainted in the middle! Poor guy.

Hahahaha...Yes, I do love this sort of stuff for some reason. :) Science/Medicine = Amazing!

Shanana said...

Alex,
I randomly stumbled upon your blog, and (being the sicko that I am) think it's one of the most fascinating ones out there. I don't get to see this stuff that much in Pedo anymore... just kids smacking themselves in the face with a baseball or something.

So anyways... Hello. And thanks for keeping me entertained.
--Shana Van Cleave