Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kind of Sad News

This Disney Store is closing.

The other day on my lunch break, I decided to head over to Borders and the Disney Store. As I approached Disney, I noticed all these bright yellow and red signs saying the whole store is on sale, let's get rid of everything, blah blah. Hmm, not a good sign. It's closing! I was quite surprised, it's in a great location and seems to get pretty good business. I went on wikipedia and apparently, The Children's Place just sold the Disney Store back to the Disney Co (they bought it from them a few yrs. ago, which explains why I hardly find anything I like there anymore). Well, because of this change, they're closing 100 stores this year. Maybe this one is just too expensive to keep open, since I'm sure that spot in Union Square is highly desired real estate. Oh well, I'll miss the fun music as I walk by and browsing for a cute bag, holiday decor or stuffed animal. I won't miss the over-abundance of princess garb and the main focus on kiddie clothes. Hopefully, the re-ownership will bring the Disney Store back to what it used to be, and if that means having to close some of the stores, it's worth it.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh the love of disney. Yes, they are all gone around here - and you are right, for the last few years they have sucked. Infact, Children's Place is the store that took over their Westlake location. I have to say, though, I like Children's Place. They are the only place that sells sleepers for boys in sizes larger than 9 months. Sorry you won't get to hear zippidee doo-dah so often. ;) See you soon!

The Scholer Family said...

Man I didn't know all of that history. Interesting. I wonder if the stores here in Vegas are the same.

Unknown said...

I wonder if there was/is one here in Boston somewhere...strangely, I have never seen one!