Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Traffic & Books (unrelated)


I found this article today in the SF Chronicle and found it quite interesting. Alex and I officially went 2 years out here without a car and, although at times it was a challenge, we're glad we did it and it helped me enjoy a slower pace of commuting and forced me to get very acquainted with the city. I've noticed I'm one of those people who, when I play pedestrian, cars are so annoying, and when I play driver, I'm complaining about the pedestrians.

Anyway, even though we now have a car (which I love the freedom, by the way), it amazes me how much time and energy is wasted in these vehicles. I would love to read the book upon which the article is based. Not one I will be buying, but maybe I can find it at the library....


Speaking of books, here's a list of some of my current/future reads:

* In Defense of Food - loved it

* Paula Deen: It Ain't All About the Cookin'-quick, easy, interesting

* Service Included - just started

* The Fortune Cookie Chronicles - up next

* Breaking Dawn - it's just sitting there waiting for me to crack open

* Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 - before I see the movie

* The Host - anyone have any feedback with this one??

* HP 7 - one day I'll get around to this one (sad, I know)


Anything I'm missing?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey heather- I read the host. It has some similarities to her other series and I'm not quite sure why it's considered an adult novel (it felt like her other books to me) but overall it was an enjoyable, quick read.

La Rira said...

i did not enjoy the host. i thought it was pretty boring compared to twilight. it was just ok.

Tyson and Courtney said...

I liked The Host, didn't love it as much as the Twilight Saga, but it's easy reading and it truly was captivating once you get past the first 100 pages or so. The story line is a little odd, but overall I would recommend reading it!

Unknown said...

Bummer. I wanted to check out the article and I couldn't get the link to work. Do you remember the title?

Christina said...

I hate cars! I would love it if we could get down to one, but Ben works too far away for that to happen anytime soon...My short synopsis on The Host is that it was disappointing. I thought it was way too long (she probably could have cut out about 20 chapters and been fine), and while the ideas were interesting and fascinating, she dind't fulfill them- it's almost like another author should have used her ideas and then the book would have been great. Just a couple of thoughts! And, I also have NO idea why this one is considered an "adult" novel- the writing was very simplistic like her other books.

Heather said...

Heather, I thought the Host was long and drawn out as well. It took forever for the book to get going and then it was a disappointment. I am reading the Breaking Dawn right now. I would spend time on this book first. I also think this book is a little wordy as well. I am thinking Stephanie Meyer is probably a one his wonder.